Monday, March 21, 2011

On Hope

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.            (Proverbs 13:12)


As I write this things are not looking good for NHL fans in Winnipeg. The TSN “Return of the Jets” Meter has fallen back three degrees as some political heavyweights throw their significant influence behind keeping the Jets in Phoenix. I am sorry to admit that this little tilt in the wrong direction has me feeling like pulling the covers over my head and retreating into a dark cave of childish self-pity.


It’s a perfect example of my inability to live up to the requirement of God’s law. How can I claim to love God with my whole heart, mind, and strength if such minutia sends me into a tailspin of depression? If I really love my neighbour as myself I wouldn’t want the fans in Phoenix to lose their team, now would I? What a miserable man I am, powerless to meet the standard of a Holy God. If salvation is not offered as a gift by grace through faith in Jesus then there is no hope for me whatsoever.


Speaking of hope... yes I know that my hope is not tied to professional athletics in anyway... I really enjoy the game of hockey; my best memories of growing up involve early morning drives to the freezing cold rink with my Dad who was always there watching, cheering, ready to rub my feet between shifts to stave off frostbite. I want NHL hockey back in my city – where it belongs – but if not I’ll be okay.


My hope is based on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. I long for the day when I will see Him face to face and join the heavenly chorus robed in white and singing; “Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God Almighty!”. What a great, great day that shall be!


Just once though, before that great day, there is another day I would really like to see. A day when I will join a different chorus, a rowdy chorus not in the heavens, rather on Portage Ave, this chorus also known to be robed in white will be singing as well; “The Boys are Back in Town”. Oh yes – that too will be a good day! Go Jets Go.
.

No comments: