Friday, March 18, 2011

Avoiding Dan's Version

I don’t usually use this space for this, but this film has moved me in a way very few ever have. I don’t know if it will hit you the same way it has me; afterward I had a hard time pulling myself together in order to get to my car, as the credits rolled I had to fight seriously to avoid dissolving into a puddle.

A virtuous woman, flawless in beauty and graceful in every imaginable way; is passionately pursued and eventually captured by her unlikely suitor. He has no business being with her, on the surface it is obvious that she is out of his league - scratch that surface just a little and the mismatch glares! His scars and blemishes and sins are to too evident, and too many to number, and yet; there she is, in all her glory, standing by his side ... happily ever after... almost.

In keeping with his track record he destroys his treasure. He destroys his treasure.

Like cold steel the words of Barney’s adult son pierce my side and tear deep into the dark centre of my soul,

“How could you f@*% this up? She deserved better than you; but she loved you anyway.”

God have mercy. I can’t type the sentence without weeping.

If He does not rescue me I am lost without hope. Dear Jesus, hide me in you, and save me. Save me from myself. I find within myself, like Barney, a bent toward self-destruction my sins are different from his but their end is the same.

In the strength of Christ and by his grace alone is there any chance of me finishing strong.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matt. 11:28)


.

No comments: