Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Loving the Call


I have had a verse from James 4 stuck in my head for the better part of the last year and wonder if you are aware of this shocking discovery. - It seems that God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.

Not a good place to find yourself let me assure you - being "resisted" by God.

The problem for me is that I get fully convinced of the correctness of my point of view - and don't be trying to confuse me with the facts. The love of my life knows that when I say, "Whisper those three little words I am longing to hear." The words I am talking about are, "You were right." This is very odd behaviour for a man who has proven so consistently over the years to be flat out wrong.

It is one thing to irritate the people I love with this kind of nonsense, but when I really examine myself I see that I have spent a good deal of time relating to God in this way as well. A couple of examples:
  • I have never liked my physical appearance and have often questioned God as to why He made me this way.
  • I question His wisdom in calling me to the ministry.
  • I know that men are never tempted beyond their ability to resist but I feel certain at times (especially mealtimes) that I am the exception to this rule. 
  • Let's not forget that I have been fist shaking angry about being called to plant a (slow growing though not the plan) church in Winnipeg. - (This happens mostly in February and March when temperatures hit -40.)
If you can relate to any of this I want to point out that it is the absolute pinnacle of pride to believe even for a second that you "know better" than God and again - please remember that - GOD RESISTS THE PROUD!

There is only one reasonable course of action in this case - repent!
Humble yourself under the mighty sovereign hand of God and receive grace.

From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. (Acts 17:26)

He made us, He called us, He equipped us, He even put us in the correct place and time.
He is God and He is right!

No comments: