Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To Be Found In Christ


I woke up this morning with this scripture on my mind, (I should say that this waking up with Bible verses in my head is not a regular occurence):

...that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. Phil. 3:9

To gain Christ, to be found "in Him", is to be trusting in a righteousness that is not of human origin, not the result of my diligent attempts at a pious life, not anything that I can point to as validation for my ministry - or as a boost to my fragile ego.

To be found "in Him" is to rely on Him.

To rely on Him, is to cease from relying on myself. I don't know about you, but I do not want to stand before Holy God hoping that I have lived well enough to earn His favour.

What have I done that is worthy of being rewarded eternal life? What about you? Do you suppose God grades on a curve?

No comments: