Monday, September 15, 2008

Today I Need A Savior.


Today I need a savior.


I hear a lot of anger directed toward God and those who claim to proclaim His gospel these days.
“How can you serve a God, how can you even dare to believe in a God, who would condemn good people to eternal damnation?” they cry.


Hmmm, so many things wrong with that line of thought, where does one begin?


Could it be that, in our fallen state, we have so lowered the criteria as to what or who is “good”, that it now somehow actually includes some people? Do you know any “good” people?


"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone. – Mark 10:18


Have you somehow managed to overlook the glaring reality, have you somehow managed to convince yourself that you are a “good” person? Have you seriously earned the right to heaven? Are you meeting God’s perfect standard?


Blind Pharisee.


I started today with prayer and Bible study. I asked the Lord to help me to listen to His leading, to help me to walk in the Spirit, denying the flesh. I set out determined to love God with my whole being and my neighbour as myself; but... I cannot do it. No matter how hard I try, I fail. I do things I know I am not to do, but worse than that, I leave undone so many things I know I am meant to do. I say wrong words, I think wrong thoughts, I make harsh and wrong judgements, and I almost without fail prefer myself above my fellow man. I am not a good person.


Today I need a savior.


Not just to get me “in”.
Not just for some one time salvation experience, some momentary “rebirth”.
I need a savior today and every day, at every moment; because I cannot even come anywhere close to meeting the perfection required by the law.


For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. – James 2:10-11


Today I need a savior


... And thankfully, graciously, before I even realized that this need existed...


One has been provided.


Now, my detractors may fume and spit, they may correctly point to the sins I have committed, they may more justifiably rail against my sins of omission. Let them.


Today I have a savior.


Today I know freedom.


Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. – Romans 8:1-3


Care to join me?
Not sure how? How does one get a savior? What must I DO to be saved?


He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household." - Acts 16:30-31


“It can’t be that easy” you say? Trust me it is!


No comments: