Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Job 19:23-27

Well here we are into week two of our reading and we run smack into the book of Job. How is everyone doing with that? Does it seem a little depressing? How about if I help you out a little by telling you that this entire book happens to Job in less than a six month period and that in the end he winds up better off than he was at the start? Still tough? Just keep going and remember to ask God to reveal the things that will bring life and revelation to your spirit.

For Lectio Divina this week I am focusing on Job 19:23-27.

23 "Oh, that my words were recorded, that they were written on a scroll, that they were inscribed with an iron tool on lead, or engraved in rock forever! I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. 26 And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; 27 I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!

The thing that first jumps out to me is that Job’s words were being recorded; though he clearly does not realize it at the time, and that they were set down forever! Here we are reading and seeking God with them nearly 6000 years later! Awesome. I wonder if any of the words we speak are being recorded by God in this manner? Have you ever been on a rant and stopped to think that God may use your little tirade some day to teach others? Interesting thought.

I also find it fascinating that Job knows His Redeemer lives and that He will come to earth some day and that Job will see Him with his own eyes after he leaves his flesh behind! For this moment his heart yearns.

The two things I am praying and reflecting on from all of this in myself are:
1. Am I too loose at the mouth. I know I am better now than I was in my youth but am I careful enough to honor God with my words?
2. Am I yearning for that day when I see Him face to face or is too much of my treasure tied up in this realm and in things that will pass away?

No comments: