Friday, October 20, 2017

Sunday Morning Preview - October 22, 2017

Sometime around the middle of 2008 my sermon preparation process underwent a radical transformation. Until then the routine had mostly involved seeking God’s will and writing down whatever came to mind. On the weeks when nothing was coming I’d mine a host of resources; hot cultural issues, church problems, or perhaps relationship challenges. If I still had nothing I’d start desperately scanning the books in my personal library hoping that something would “pop”. 

The change came with the realization that this system was causing at least two serious problems. I was twisting scripture in order to make my points seem biblical and I was avoiding difficult topics by sticking to my own passions and preferences. Switching to the current exegetical model goes a long way to correcting the first of those problems and it virtually eliminates the second.

This Sunday we begin the Book of Malachi with a sermon entitled “Oblivious”. 
I am not excited! 

If you wonder why, please read the first five verses to see if you can figure it out.


Pastor Dan

No comments: